[Loscho_enews] Snohomish County Historic Mapping project

info at snocoheritage.org info at snocoheritage.org
Tue Dec 1 19:58:30 PST 2009

Hi All,

As many of you have heard, the grants funded under HB1386 have been
approved and contracts written between the County and the project
agencies.  One project counting on these funds has been the Snohomish
County Historic Mapping project sponsored by the Granite Falls Historical
Society.  The County funds will make it possible for us to put in place
enough PC computing power to arrange our final files and replicate copies
for each participating organization.

However, the County stipulates that we must complete the project before we
can apply to them for reimbursement.  That means that we must purchase a
robust PC, along with all the USB disc drives that will be provided to
participating groups.  Those disc drives will contain all the maps, aerial
photos, homestead boundaries and info, and assorted other map "layers"
that will be useful.  They will also include the software needed to view
and use the maps.

The Granite Falls Historical Society is not in a budget position to
purchase all of the hardware up-front without some help.  As discussed at
a recent LOSCHO meeting, each organization wishing to have their own set
of maps for local use (and for visitor use), is asked to contribute $300.
That will cover the disc costs, duplicating costs, etc., and provide you
with a turn-key operation.

I realize this is probably the end of each organization's fiscal year, and
there may be reasons that some organizations would prefer to incur such a
cost before Dec 31st, while some might prefer the expense to occur after
Jan 1st.  We are confident  that we can complete the project by the end of
January.  The vast majority of the "grunt work" has been done on a single
PC we already purchased for this project.  We made up for lack of dollars
by investing extra hours.  But now we need each organization to make a
real commitment to the $300 payment.  We will make the material available
after January, as well, but at a substantially higher price, because we
will not be able to take advantage of project help and "bulk" processing.

You are all welcome to visit the Granite Falls Museum to get a preview of
how the system looks, works, and feels.  But we do need an answer fairly
quickly regarding your participation, because we have to plan both the
final workload as well as the cash flow.  Kevin Stadler
(stadlerkk at gmail.com) did visit last week for a look, so you can also ask
him for an independent assessment of the power and value of having this
tool for genealogical and community development research.

Best regards,
Fred Cruger
Granite Falls Historical Society