[Loscho_enews] National Trust for Historic Preservation

Snocoheritage snocoheritage at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 19:57:23 PDT 2010

Hi All,
Below is an appeal for funds that I don't usually forward on this list, but
they are helping to preserve many local historic places, most recently the
Ferry House on Whidbey and they are including our State Parks which are
sustaining many serious budget cuts.  Below is their most recent appeal
http://www.preservationnation.org/partners-in-preservation/seattle/
Karen Prasse
League of Snohomish County Heritage Organizations
---------------------------------

Help the National Trust for Historic Preservation put historic places,
including places all across Washington State, back on the map!

Dear Friend,

Your participation in Partners in Preservation this year helped put 25
historic sites across the Seattle-Puget Sound area on the map!   By voting
for your favorite place, you not only helped distribute one million dollars
in much-needed financial support to historic places in your community, you
raised a tide of awareness that will benefit these places for years to come.

As someone who cares about saving historic places in Washington State, I
know you will agree with me when I say that now is the time to take a stand
and show support for historic places that matter to you and to all of us.
Your vote helped 25 historic places in Washington receive critical
preservation funding. Now help us protect more places all across the country
by joining us as a member.

But sadly, we find that we have a fight on our hands to help local, state,
and national public officials understand what you already know -- that
investing in historic places creates jobs, is the ultimate “sustainable”
development and protects our heritage for future generations.

And that’s why I’m writing to you today – to ask you to join with the
National Trust for Historic Preservation as we continue the fight to save
historic places by becoming a member for as little as $15 a month.

Plus if you join today, your gift will be matched dollar-for-dollar through
an exciting new challenge grant we have from Washingtonian and National
Trust Trustee Jennifer Emerson and her husband, Richard Emerson, to
encourage us to build a stronger, more stable member base.

Since 1949, the National Trust for Historic Preservation has been leading
the fight to save places just like these in Washington State, and all across
the country, by:

    * Sounding the alarm to restore funding for critical preservation
programs in the 2011 federal budget, programs like Save America’s Treasures,
which has awarded preservation grants to more than 20 projects in Washington
State – including Green Mountain Lookout in Snoqualmie National Forest (the
very first SAT grant given in Washington in 1999), Fox Theatre in Spokane,
and most recently in 2009, Mason County Courthouse in Shelton.

    * Helping local activists save Washington State Main Street.  In
December 2009, Washington’s Governor announced budget cuts eliminating the
state’s Main Street program (a successful downtown revitalization program
pioneered by the National Trust).  At the request of Washingtonians, we
quickly stepped up to provide support and counsel to Main Street officers
all across the state, sharing strategies that had been effective in other
state budget battles and alerting our Members to contact their legislators.
This model of local, state and national partnership to create and maintain
critical programs like Washington’s Main Street is a hallmark of how the
preservation movement works together to save historic places.

Please join us today as a Sustaining Member and take a stand for our
nation’s historic places.  And because of the Emerson Challenge, your gift
today of $15, is really worth $30!

You may be asking yourself “what can they possibly accomplish with only $15,
or even $30?”  On its own, $15 is not a lot of money.  But when combined
with the $15 paid by other committed members…it adds up.
Your support as a member of the National Trust will help make our voice
stronger as we continue the fight to restore full funding for important
preservation programs like Save America's Treasures.

As a member, you will not only gain a good feeling about doing your part to
save our nation’s historic places, but you’ll also gain a lot of great
membership benefits, including a subscription to our award-winning magazine
Preservation, a personalized membership card that entitles you to free or
discounted admission at hundreds of historic sites around the world, special
rates at participating Historic Hotels of America, and discounts on books
and gifts at our Historic Sites shops.

We’ll also send you one of our special tote bags, free of charge, as our way
of saying “thanks” for your support.

Won’t you join the National Trust for Historic Preservation today, and take
a stand for historic places that matter to you?  Remember, your gift will be
matched dollar-for-dollar through our new Emerson challenge.  Thank you for
your support.

Sincerely,

Dolores McDonagh
Vice President, Membership

P.S. – In our annual America’s 11 Most Endangered Historic Places list this
year, we included America’s State Parks and State-Owned Historic Sites.
Washington is one of 26 states whose State Parks face major budget cuts,
with 142 Washington State Parks at risk. Your support as a member of the
National Trust will help us fight these cuts. Please join today!

P.P.S. – Already a member? It may be that we haven’t been able to match your
email address with your membership record. Drop us a line and help us make
the connection. Maybe your membership has lapsed?  We’ve never needed you
more – please rejoin today (and have your gift be matched dollar for
dollar)!

National Trust for Historic Preservation
1785 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20036
202-588-6000 / 800-315-6847
members at nthp.org / http://www.preservationnation.org/