[Loscho_enews] Fw: The City of Seattle's Threat Against MOHAI's Future

Karen Prasse kprasse at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 8 08:23:08 PDT 2010

----- Forwarded Message ----

From: AKCHO Board President Joe Follansbee <joef at speakeasy.net>
To: kprasse at yahoo.com
Sent: Tue, September 7, 2010 7:40:22 PM
Subject: The City of Seattle's Threat Against MOHAI's Future

Having trouble viewing this email? Click here  Hello AKCHO Members and Heritage
Advisor Subscribers:

I am forwarding the message below to you from Helen Divjak, a former AKCHO board
member now with the Museum of History & Industry. She is writing about an
outrageous attempt by the City of Seattle to renege on a good-faith deal with
MOHAI. This attempt threatens MOHAI's plans to move to Lake Union Park, and it
threatens the survival of arguably the single most visible and important local
heritage institution in Washington State. This affects ALL of us, not just
people in Seattle. Please read carefully, write to city leaders, and plan to
attend the hearing on Sept. 20. Thank you.

Joe Follansbee
AKCHO Board President
-----

Dear Friends, AKCHO Members, and Heritage Supporters:

I am writing to you today on behalf of MOHAI to inform you that the future of
our museum is in jeopardy. As you may have read in the news last week, MOHAI’s
agreement with the Seattle’s Mayor’s Office - one which would allow the museum
to reopen in 2012 at the historic Armory at South Lake Union - is now being
called into question. If we are unable to resolve this issue swiftly, MOHAI will
be forced to close, and may not reopen.

If MOHAI has made a difference to your life or your community, please support us
by writing an email or a note to the Seattle Mayor’s office and City council to
let them know how you feel. I would also be grateful if you can help me raise
awareness about this issue by forwarding my email onto friends, neighbors, and
colleagues of your own.  History matters and our voices really can make a
difference.

Here is the situation:

1) The MOHAI building at Montlake is going to be demolished. In 2012, Seattle’s
regional history museum must close its doors to make way for the expansion of
the 520 bridge.

2) After three years of working together, MOHAI and the City reached an
agreement last fall to save MOHAI by moving it to the landmarked Armory building
at South Lake Union.  According to this agreement, all of the funds required to
restore the old Armory and to complete the relocation of exhibits, staff,
artifacts, and other museum services will come from MOHAI’s capital campaign and
from compensation designated by the State to mitigate MOHAI’s loss.  You can
learn more about this agreement in the following Crosscut article:
http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=laiiokcab&et=1103667399174&s=1102&e=001GKMJzsfm-gaT6oDTAM35wzASWT9rUsfk2AGESUPiQSQoV3cmNhktq1p5SYGmXjWB1y1XGY4mTjR2jlShtIkjMcppN4_EvwUUOFzXiEwgHG2wiZnq_Qkd7N0hfFgC5lHdSjvIXE41Gud_bZzMgDo1vPBhG40pBWz6uXeUuDKB4qACfSwomgWk2I9g9RL_PBSjLQotMr6ptgKfkq9oWLfs1N-XcarSOq8S

3) In developments last week, the Mayor’s Office indicated that it now wishes to
renegotiate our agreement, despite the fact that that the State’s mitigation
funds cannot be redirected. Mitigation funds from the State can be used ONLY for
the purpose they were intended:  to mitigate MOHAI for the loss of the Montlake
building and all the functions it contains.  The mitigation includes funds to
not only help us restore the Armory building and create exhibits to replace
those we will loose at our Montlake facility, but also to relocate many of the
museum’s functions (including staff offices, the research library, and artifact
storage) that cannot be accommodated at the Armory. To successfully complete our
move, MOHAI must be able to keep the agreement.

If you believe that MOHAI plays an important role in our cultural landscape and
serves our community by preserving and sharing our history, please share your
thoughts with Mayor McGinn and City Councilmember Sally Bagshaw, Chair of the
Parks and Seattle Center Committee.  Their email addresses are:
mike.mcginn at seattle.gov and sally.bagshaw at seattle.gov respectively.  If you
would like to send a letter, the mayor’s physical mail address is: The Honorable
Mike McGinn, Seattle City Hall 7th floor, 600 Fourth Avenue, P.O. Box 94749,
Seattle, WA 98124-4749. We also request that you show your support by attending
the City Council meeting scheduled for September 20th at 2 PM, at 600 4th Avenue
in the Council Chambers, where the council members will vote on this matter.

Thank you for your support!

HELEN DIVJAK
PUBLIC PROGRAMS MANAGER
MUSEUM OF HISTORY & INDUSTRY
2700 24th Avenue East, Seattle, WA 98112-2099
P: 206.324.1126 Ext. 30  |  F: 206.324.1346
helen.divjak at seattlehistory.org
www.seattlehistory.org