[Loscho_enews] Fw: Your HistoryLink.org Update - Snohomish County featured

Karen Prasse kprasse at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 13 22:50:08 PST 2011

----- Forwarded Message ----

From: "admin at historylink.org" <admin at historylink.org>
To: kprasse at yahoo.com
Sent: Thu, January 13, 2011 3:43:38 PM
Subject: Your HistoryLink.org Update

This week at http://www.HistoryLink.org, Snohomish County celebrates a hundred
and fifty years, we look back and remember Montesano's pioneers, and then we go
to Forks when the town's library was new, and we wish a happy birthday to our
friends at ol' Wazzu, among other historical highlights.

History Cafe

On Thursday, January 20, from 7 to 8 p.m., the first of this year's History Cafe
series -- sponsored by MOHAI, KCTS 9, Seattle Public Library, and HistoryLink --
will meet at Roy Street Coffee and Tea in Seattle to discuss the history of
Seattle's Capitol Hill neighborhood. Join in on the discussion with MOHAI's
Helen Divjak and HistoryLink's Alan Stein. For more info, visit
http://www.seattlehistory.org/plan_your_visit/calendar.php?id=168.

SnoCo150

As noted on our front page, this week Snohomish County celebrates its
sesquicentennial. This Friday, January 14, at 10 a.m., cake, ice cream, coffee,
and cocoa will be served at the Snohomish County Campus in Everett.  The public
is invited bring something to commemorate the county's 150 Years for entry into
a time capsule. Find out more at http://www.snoco150.net/.

Arts and Heritage Day

For years, the Washington Museum Association has sponsored Museum Day and,
likewise, the Washington State Arts Alliance (WSAA) has organized Arts Day in
Olympia. In 2011, the two statewide organizations are joining forces to
coordinate Arts & Heritage Day on February 2, to demonstrate the strength of the
state's cultural industries and to advocate for investment in the cultural
economy in the current legislative session. To learn more visit
http://wsaa.qwestoffice.net/arts_day.htm.

Ground Control

This week our Education Team features namesakes, with a look at two Washington
schools named for astronauts Dick Scobee and Michael Anderson. Learn more at
http://www.historylink.org/edu.

Early Warning

In our next update, HistoryLink.org runs to the blockhouse, goes down with the
ship, sees red, and crosses some bridges, among other historic events.

Earthquake of enormous magnitude hits the Pacific Northwest coast on January 26,
1700.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=5098

Bishop Augustine Blanchet dedicates Washington's original St. James Cathedral at
Fort Vancouver on January 23, 1851.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=9126

Native Americans attack Seattle on January 26, 1856.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=5208

Washington Territorial Legislature incorporates the City of Vancouver on January
23, 1857.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=9115

Ferguson County is established on January 23, 1863.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=7486

The Walla Walla Library Association is incorporated on January 20, 1865.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=8729

Yakima County is established on January 21, 1865.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=7487

The SS Valencia wrecks on Vancouver Island with a loss of 136 lives on January
22, 1906.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=7381

Billy Sunday preaches to 10,000 in Spokane on January 24, 1909.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=5413

The Liberty Arch Monument gate at Camp Lewis is completed on January 26, 1918.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=9250

Plot to sink the MV Hiye Maru in Elliott Bay fails on January 20, 1938.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=7569

State Representative criticizes UW for hiring Marxist Harold Laski as visiting
lecturer on January 23, 1939.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=2083

University of Washington sees Red and fires three faculty members on January 22,
1949.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=1482

Seattle University Chieftains, led by Johnny and Eddie O'Brien, defeat Harlem
Globetrotters in a Seattle exhibition game on January 21, 1952.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=3675

Former state representative John Goldmark wins $40,000 (later overturned) in a
libel case in Okanogan County against four individuals and a newspaper that had
called him a Communist "tool," on January 22, 1964.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=9485

FBI arrests right-wing Minutemen on January 26, 1968, for conspiring to blow up
Redmond City Hall and rob four banks.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=1464

Edwin Pratt is murdered outside of his Shoreline home on January 26, 1969.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=4142

Supreme Court affirms limited right to abortion in Roe v. Wade case, superseding
Washington state law, on January 22, 1973.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=4135

Love Israel Family gives up all its Seattle properties in an out-of-court
settlement on January 26, 1984.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=9322

Serial killer Ted Bundy dies in the electric chair in Florida on January 24,
1989.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=2637

Inaugural Day storm ravages Puget Sound on January 20, 1993.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=2886

Cable-stayed bridge over Tacoma's Thea Foss Waterway opens on January 22, 1997.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=5150

Tacoma's Blair Bridge is closed and demolition begins on January 23, 1997.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=8638

Seattle Art Museum's Olympic Sculpture Park opens to the public on January
20-21, 2007.
http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=8130

Enjoy,

Marie McCaffrey, Alan Stein, and the http://www.HistoryLink.org Gang

If you would like to change your email settings or cancel your subscription, go
http://www.historylink.org/Index.cfm?DisplayPage=subscriber/remove.cfm&email=kprasse@yahoo.com