[Loscho_Enews] Mukilteo Storytellers at September 7-9 2012 festival

Diane J. Tinsley diane.tinsley at frontier.com
Fri Aug 10 14:30:23 PDT 2012

Storytellers to give all-encompassing vision of Mukilteo's past
By LaVendrick Smith | Aug 08, 2012 Mukilteo Beacon

Christopher Summitt and Diane Tinsley of the Mukilteo Storytellers
take listeners on a trip through Mukilteo's early history. The
Mukilteo Storytellers will be re-enacting Mukilteo history at the
47th annual Mukilteo Lighthouse Festival Sept. 7-9, 2012.

No tale is off limits for the Mukilteo Storytellers, who promise to
share all of Mukilteo's secrets - the good, the bad, and even the
ugly - at the 47th annual Mukilteo Lighthouse Festival Sept. 7-9.
Throughout the weekend, the group will be performing at in and around
Lighthouse Park, telling stories about the early days of Mukilteo.
Actors will dress in clothing from the period of the pioneer they're
portraying.
The theme this year for the storytellers is "The Good, The Bad, and
The Ugly" because the group intends to tell the entire history of
Mukilteo, including the most serious issues. Stories will range from
construction of the lighthouse to local rum smugglers during
Prohibition.
"We want diversity," said storyteller Diane Tinsley. "We're a
family-based program, but on occasion we talk about some of the other
kind of funny incidents that we look back on now as what life was
like in the early 19th and 20th centuries."
Tinsley portrays Louisa Fowler Sinclair, the daughter of Mukilteo's
co-founder J.D. Fowler.
The group will showcase their stories in six half-hour programs
throughout the weekend. These include appearances at the Harbour
Pointe Retirement and Assisted Living Center and the Hogland House, a
bed and breakfast near Pioneer Cemetery.
At Lighthouse Park, the group will perform at the band shell. A
schedule has not yet been determined. Storytellers will also be
scattered throughout the park to give mini history lessons to
festival-goers.
"These are our Mukilteo family stories," said Christopher Summitt,
another storyteller. "These are the good, the bad, the sneaky -
they're our past."
Summitt portrays Jacob Fowler, co-founder of Mukilteo.
When he's not reliving Mukilteo history, Summitt is a tour guide at
Boeing's Future of Flight museum - a job he said prepares him well
for storytelling.
"I'm used to collecting audiences together and working with groups of
people as part of my daily work," he said. "So for me, it's very easy
to talk up a crowd and direct things."
Storyteller Sheila McGillivray will also help talk up crowds. She
plays Alice McGill, a former teacher at Rosehill School.
"I really like the history of the school, so I enjoy portraying the
teacher," McGillivray said. "It's fun to get out and expose this
[history] to people who never knew about any of it if we didn't tell
them."
The storytellers researched their pioneers through books written by
Opal McConnell, a Mukilteo pioneer. They perform other reenactments
throughout the year.
"I enjoy making contributions to remembering Mukilteo history,"
Summitt said. "We're all very involved with learning about and
perpetuating the memory of the early days of Mukilteo."
Tinsley said the reenactments help her see the progress Mukilteo has
made as a city.
"When I put myself in the shoes someone wore 150 years ago, I think
of all the changes that happened since then," she said. "A younger
person tends to think about looking back and what wasn't, I tend to
look at the exciting things that have happened over those years and
how they relate to the future."
LaVendrick Smith is an intern for the Mukilteo Beacon.

--
Diane J Tinsley
AKA Louisa Fowler Sinclair
diane at mukilteohistorical.org