[Loscho_Enews] Fwd: Local History Bill

Snocoheritage snocoheritage at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 09:53:32 PST 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Zeiger, Rep. Hans <Hans.Zeiger at leg.wa.gov>
Date: Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 4:59 PM
Subject: Local History Bill
To: "info at snocoheritage.org" <info at snocoheritage.org>

 This Monday, January 20 at 1:30pm, the Washington State House Education
Committee will hold a hearing on my bill, HB
2216<http://aor/billsummary/default.aspx?Bill=2216&year=2013>,
entitled “Encouraging the inclusion of local history information in
Washington state history and government curriculum.” My bill simply amends
the law concerning Washington State History and Government courses to say
that “Each school district is encouraged to include information on local
history in its curriculum, which may include visits to local landmarks and
museums, readings on local history, and interaction with local historical
societies.”

It’s important that our state law explicitly encourage such partnerships. I
believe that an awareness of local history helps students to appreciate the
significance of their communities; it gives them a rich perspective on the
people, places, and institutions around them.

I wanted to see if someone from your organization would be willing to be at
the hearing and testify briefly in favor of HB 2216. The hearing will be
held in the John L. O’Brien Building at the State Capitol campus in
Olympia. We are hoping for a strong showing from local historical
societies, museums, and other heritage advocates. Let me know if you can be
here on Monday, and let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

 Hans Zeiger

State Representative, 25th District

360-786-7968

hans.zeiger at leg.wa.gov

forwarded by
--
Karen Prasse
League of Snohomish County Heritage Organizations
info at snocoheritage.org
www.snocoheritage.org