[Loscho_Enews] Fwd: FW: Burlington Cemetery History Tour - August 19, 7pm

Snocoheritage snocoheritage at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 21:28:10 PDT 2014

 *From:* Margie & Greg Wilson [mailto:wilsongm at frontier.com]
*Sent:* Friday, August 08, 2014 4:55 PM
*To:* rootsproject at frontier.com
*Subject:* Burlington Cemetery History Tour - August 19, 7pm

Dear Friends, I thought you might enjoy attending this first annual history
tour of Green Hills Memorial Cemetery on Tuesday, August 19 at 7pm. Please
help spread the word in our [Burlington, Skagit County] community. ~ Margie
(aka "Clara")

Burlington’s Pioneer History to be interpreted at
Green Hills Memorial Cemetery Tour:
“Recalling Our Founders”

BURLINGTON -- Burlington's First Annual *Recalling Our Founders* *Cemetery
Tour* will be held at Green Hills Memorial Cemetery, 11157 Gardner Road,
Burlington on Tuesday, August 19 from 7pm-8:30pm.  Descendants of several
Burlington pioneers and a living history interpreter will tell tales of
Burlington’s early days. Family historians: Bill Knutzen will discuss the
Jess H. Knutzen family; Richard Rohweder, will speak about his pioneer
grandfather Clarence Rohweder, and Don Mapes will share yarns of Woodman
“Granny” Matthews and his unusual bequest to Burlington Hospital.
Accompanying the pioneer descendants will be living history interpreter,
Margie Wilson, who in 1890s garb, will portray Clara Garl-Morrison,
Burlington's first schoolteacher.  The tour is free and open to all ages to
attend. Please call Burlington Parks and Recreation (360) 755-9649 or Edie
Edmundson, (360) 757-4757, edieedmundson at comcast.net to be added to the
admission roster. Meet at Burlington's Green Hills Cemetery office/shop,
11157 Gardner Road, Burlington at 6:45pm. Parking is located near the
cemetery office/shop. The tour begins at 7pm. A brief Burlington Historical
Society meeting and refreshments will follow back at the cemetery office
after the tour. Please note that walking a short distance on uneven ground,
standing for a total of 40 minutes and being outdoors will be necessary.
Please plan for being outdoors. For details contact
edieedmundson at comcast.net or wilsongm at frontier.com.

# # #

Additional background information:

The Burlington Historical Society (BHS) is working to form an official 501
c 3 non-profit organization. During the past year BHS has hosted free
monthly programs at various historic locations to encourage interest in
Burlington’s history.  Previous venues included programs by volunteers at
the 1909 former National Bank building (now Tierra Nueva), the Burlington
Fire Department, the former Roosevelt Grade School (now the
Burlington-Edison School District Administration Building) as well as,
programs such as the Burlington History Detectives and Old Timers’ Tales at
the Burlington Library.

In October 2013, seventeen Burlington-Edison North High School students
accompanied by twenty genealogist mentors visited the Green Hills Memorial
Cemetery to conduct family history research. The teens and mentors were
participants in the “Making Connections through ROOTS” project, hosted by
the Skagit Valley Genealogical Society and the Burlington Public Library.
“The students were fascinated to learn about the tremendous amount of
history that their local cemetery has to offer. Many had never visited a
cemetery before. The beautifully carved or perhaps weatherworn graves of
Burlington’s pioneers silently spoke volumes to the I-phone generation.

The students, as they researched, speculated on the hardships these
families endured such as, high infant mortality, frequent logging
accidents, disease epidemics, a shorter life expectancy, etc. Their visit
to the cemetery proved to be a real “ah ha!” moment for both the students
and mentors. Burlington’s early history rests alongside these courageous
pioneers. In the poignant moments felt while reading an epitaph we connect
for a quiet moment with our ancestors and what their lives were like,”
explains Margie Wilson, a Burlington Historical Society member. “Based on
the enthusiastic success of the ROOTS tour of Green Hills Memorial Cemetery
BHS decided to try a similar history-based cemetery tour for the entire
community to enjoy. If it proves to be well-received the BHS hopes to make
it an annual summer program.”

# # #

forwarded by
--
Karen Prasse
League of Snohomish County Heritage Organizations
info at snocoheritage.org
www.snocoheritage.org