[Loscho_Enews] Heritage research using maps

Snocoheritage snocoheritage at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 09:48:31 PDT 2017

Below is a message from Fred Cruger about the Historical Mapping Project
grant funding and preview of the type of information it will provide

As we prepare to fulfill the promise in a grant proposal to make our
mapping system more available and easier to use, I thought you might enjoy
taking a peek at a prototype app we put together to take advantage of some
of the georeferencing already done of old maps.  This one lets you explore
1910 Snohomish County, but provides a little spyglass to see what is there
today, too.  You can drag the map around, zoom in on downtown areas to get
progressively more detailed maps, and (if you have zoomed on some of the
downtown areas) look at Sanborn Fire Insurance maps and pictures.  We have
included images from towns like Mukilteo, Granite Falls, Monroe, Darrington
. . . anyone who has submitted a few.  http://arcg.is/2n4JnWY

You can type in an address, or the name of a town, etc., in the box at the
upper right, and the map will automatically center itself and zoom in on
that place  (you may then have to zoom out to see the old maps, which were
obviously less detailed than the aerial photos).

Best regards,
Fred Cruger
Granite Falls Historical Society

​forwarded by​

Karen Prasse
League of Snohomish County Heritage Organizations
snocoheritage at gmail.com
www.snocoheritage.org